Thursday, August 14, 2014

The quick and easy Mexican meal

Hola! 

As a result of a pop up store at a new mall that sold tortillas for $2.50 i developed a taste for these babies. In addition, they were giving out these 8 of these tortilla shells with every purchase which would have cost me from 4 to 5 bucks at Coles. This gave me a reason to try making these bad boys at home.  









What you will need: 
(According to what I have used)
Filling
500g beef mince (I suppose you could substitute this with chicken/pork/vego mince if necessary)
1 can of peeled crushed tomatos (or I reckon 2-3 fresh tomatos, finely chopped)
1 corn
1 red or green pepper, chopped
1 large onion, chopped (I used a brown one though the initial recipe I followed recommended a red one)
1 can of red kidney beans
Mexican spice mix (I bought a pre mix which would be more cost effective)


Guacamole

1-2 avocados
Coriander
Sour Cream
Lemon ( I used 1/2 a lemon with every 1 avocado)

Toppings
Cheese
Sour cream
Guacamole
Taco sauce

& of course your tortilla shells or tacos, although the latter proved to be extremely messy to eat.



Steps


Filling
1. As part of the prep, boil the corn first and separate the kernels from the corn cob
2. In a pot, heat up some oil and fry the onions.
3. Add the mince and fry for a couple of minutes till brown
4. Add in the pepper, corn, kidney beans and tomatoes, and mix well.
5. Add the Mexican spice into the mix. Leave to simmer.

That is all you'll need to do for the filling.
I usually leave it to simmer for quite a while, so the onions, kidney beans and peppers become nice and soft.




 Guacamole

This is a recipe that I base almost entirely on my judgement and taste buds. Tasting it as I go.

1. Mash your avocado
2. Add a generous amount of sour cream (I used about 2 tablespoons)
3. Add in your coriander ( I used a ready made coriander paste in mine and just kept adding to my desired taste)
4. Squeeze in your lemon juice and mix really well.





Place the mince in your shells, fill it up with your desired toppings and tadah! Hope you'll enjoy the meal as much as I have.






No comments:

Post a Comment